Yay! We made it to Yellowstone! Actually that night, we just made it Island Park, Idaho to a house that we had rented, but it is darn close to Yellowstone. When we finally got there that night, we had a great welcome from my parents, Jim's parents and my sister Kim. Did I mention this was a big family thing? I think the extended family really made the trip extra special. We should do that more often! The house was great too, but more about that in a future post.
We went to Yellowstone Park on Day 5 and Day 7. I just smooshed together all the park pictures I have from everyone and both days into one post, so credit to all of them for some of these pictures.
On both days, Laura and I moved to my Dad's suburban and Jim's parents moved into our van. The kids had walkie-talkies to keep us in contact and to make silly noises back and forth to each other. The two cars pretty much stayed together. There was one hike that they hiked one direction and we hiked the other so that we could drive the van back to the suburban and have lunch. It was fun to pass in the middle!
Hike? Is that what I said? That's right! Those Grandmas and Grandpas hiked with us, up some hills, out in bear country. At one point, my Mom elbowed her way past Kim and I because we were strolling too slowly. I spent a lot of time worrying about them, but they showed me how ridiculous that was. I guess you have to let them grow up sometime...
Throughout the park, we saw geysers, mud pots, vents, pools, waterfalls, rapids with huge trout swimming upstream and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. In our car, our favorites were the vents that made deep, dragon noises like whoomp...whoomp...whoomp. A close second were the bubbling mud pots spurting up mud with a plop, plop sound.
Of course we saw Old Faithful. It did not disappoint!
Morning Glory Pool
ahhh...
PB&Js in the parking lot
Silly hats
Silly kids
Two of kind: imagining the dragon that must live in this cave.
And just for kicks...here's a picture of Jim and me 12 years ago on our first visit to Yellowstone.
Such baby-faces!















No comments:
Post a Comment