Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bedtime for Bonzos

Something cool has been happening lately. Between Jim's recent business trips and his evening classes, I've had several opportunities to put both kids to bed. I used to try to get Laura in bed first, for fear that her presence might tip the balance we had in Adam's happy bedtime routine. But that meant that he had to sit through her bathroom, teeth brushing, PJ donning, and then the worst of all - big kid book reading. By the end, he was always wailing and everyone was unhappy. Then I started letting Laura watch a video while I put him to bed, but that didn't feel good either.

Duh!

I had her start "helping" me put him to bed and all is right with the world again. She uses the bathroom and brushes her teeth while I put his PJs on. Then we read his books, and often she reads them to him. (That is super cute!) The she turns off the light and helps me sing Twinkle Twinkle and Jesus Loves Me. And he lays down perfectly, with no worries about her presence. What was I worried about? Then she and I finish her routine in her room while he mumbles himself to sleep. I walk down the steps, usually by 6:50pm. The house is quiet, I have the evening to myself and everyone is happy until 12 hours later, when the craziness begins again.

Celebrating the small successes! Yippee!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go, Jenny! By 7 pm too. Enjoy your quiet times, you're earning them.
Maureen