Thursday, January 14, 2010

The end of an era

Another pause in my Christmas rememberings to record something for posterity. Tonight is the first night Adam is going to sleep without nursing. So far it is going about the same as it has the last week or so. That is...not fantastic. I started running low on milk about a week ago and he hasn't been getting enough to fall into a floppy, jelly-like state of sleep before being laid down, like he has since birth. It has just been so easy to lay him down for the last 13 months this way. But I've paid the price because that means I have been here for bed every single night for the last 13 months or if I wasn't here, he was still up waiting for me when I got back. Not to mention that he wakes up in the middle of night frequently because he has no idea how to go back to sleep on his own. But since my supply has been waning, he's been so disappointed and frustrated after nursing that he is very worked up when I lay him down anyway. I just decided to draw the line and call it quits. Its very bittersweet. We aren't planning any more kids and nursing has obviously been a big part of my life since I nursed both of ours for over a year. But its good too. It is obvious that he is able to understand so much of what we tell him and I know he is able to learn to go to sleep by himself. And it will be very nice to get some freedom for myself and for Jim. Most importantly for the whole family, he will ideally start sleeping through the night now. This is when Laura started sleeping through the night, and I'm sure you don't want your sister showing you up, do you Adam? kidding. not going to contribute to sibling rivalry. Actually, he has fallen asleep since I started typing this, so maybe we are making small improvements. I look forward to coming out of this year-long fog of exhaustion!

On to the next challenge - he has learned to climb! nothing is safe!

Some pictures of Adam and I:



























1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're a great Mom, Jenny. God bless you both during this transition.

Maureen