Monday, November 19, 2007

nice book lady

i just had the nicest experience. I was out returning (actually exchanging since you apparently cant return items even though theres a sign saying otherwise) some of the clothes i bought for laura that were too small tonight and i stopped by this little bargain book kiosk to see if they had gotten anything new in lately. I've been there several times since their books are usually really cheap. I went there the other day and asked to see a jodi picoult hardback book but I didn't buy it because it was about $8. Ok that's not a lot I know, but compared to their usual prices it is. So anyway, today walk up and start looking and the lady pulls out a different jodi picoult book that is paperback and only about $3! It just meant so much to that not only did she remember me, she remembered what kind of book I like. Granted i'm pretty hard to forget around here since I look so different and I usually have a cute friendly baby strapped to my back, but I didn't have laura tonight and it was just so nice to have someone be nice to ME not laura. Of course she did ask where my baby was, but what are you gonna do? Like jim pointed out to me, be grateful that people here like us for our differences, rather than so many people in the world who are hated merely for their looks.
Laura is learning to say her name. Literally every single person that talks to her here(which is most everyone we see) asks her what her name is. I think names must be very important in this culture. I don't think very many people in america make that their first and most insistent question to ask children like they do here. And it was very important to Sky (the littlt girl down the hall) and her nanny that laura's baby have a name. We have always just called her "baby" but they just kept asking the dolls name and didn't seem to understand that she didn't really have one. Anyway, whenever people ask laura what her name is, she just stares or babbles at them. I either ignore it or answer for her if they are insistent which they usually are. But laura has actually been saying her name the last few days if I prompt her after they ask. Pretty exciting. Incidentally, the second question is ALWAYS "how old are you?" and they just act like they expect her to understand and answer. Kids here must talk early because laura just doesnt get those questions yet.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love this update. I can tell you are thinking a lot about living in the minority. When I lived in New Mexico this is often how I felt and it was difficult to communicate. To anyone who hadn't felt it.

Yeah Laura!!!! I am counting down the days until I see you all! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Jim & Laura,
I am so enjoying your blog. I read it every day. Just want you to know we'll be thinking of you over the holiday and hoping that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Love you Bunches,
Maureen