Sunday, September 29, 2013

Left-Brain Dominance

I don't like abstract art.

There, I said it.

It doesn't "speak to me." I like art when it at least gives you the impression of some thing or person. And quite frankly, the more realistic a piece of art, the more impressive I find it. It is very difficult to get a person's face to actually look like a person's face; light and perspective are also tricky; hands always end up looking crazy unless you have true talent, and I don't. I feel like I am capable of doing many of the abstract art pieces I have seen. Geometric shapes, various colors, squiggles or sprinkles of color are all do-able, even by my 4 year old.

I know this isn't a new point of view or unique to me. I am just officially joining that club. I've always been a little afraid to admit this in case someone will think I "just don't get it." Well, I'm old and gray now and I'm not afraid to admit that I actually don't get it.

We drive by the Eagan Art House everyday and they have a new sculpture.


Really?

I have always been a big supporter of the Art House and will continue to be, but I wonder a little every time I see this (every day). What do people see in this? What, besides its size, is impressive or thought provoking or difficult about this? Does it have a deeper meaning that I'm missing? Help me out here. 

You know what else? Poems should either rhyme or be very funny.

1 comment:

Kim said...

This totally cracks me up! I think we came from the same womb for sure! :)