First night to sleep all the way through. Well, at least until 5:15, thank you very much Laura. But we went to sleep at 9:00, so I guess that is bearable. I did feel much better with a nice amount of sleep. We lazed around the hotel this morning (lots more TV than non-vacation time) and left for San Diego about 8:30. Traffic was surprisingly navigatable (word? I don't know, but I like the way it sounds in my head). Since this trip is all about food, we had 2nd breakfast at Harvest Taco Shop, our favorite authentic taco shop from our carefree, before-kids days in southern Cali. No one makes a better carne asada burrito or spicy carrots or salsa. And the kids loved the rolled, fried tacos (who wouldn't?). Then we headed to Balboa Park. A nice walk around, through the Botanical Building, by the big tree, around the outside of the fountain, through the cool archways, climbing on the strange mosaic alligator/dragon thing, and some time spent in the Model Railroad Museum. Then over to Coronado for lunch and....wait for it....the BEACH. Finally, what Laura has been drooling over for several days. I think it totally lived up to her expecations. She and I played in the waves until she her teeth started to chatter, then made sand mountains and moats and rivers. We had to drag her away when it was time to go. Adam slept pretty much the whole time in the car with Jim and cried when he came out on the sand, so I guess he's either not a beach guy, or not at a beach-loving age. I think we'll swim again tomorrow, so we'll give him another chance. He did finally get a nice long nap today, and it greatly improved his disposition. Having our hotel way out past Escondido is a pain, but it was really our only choice. Going all the way into town, then all the way back for a nap, then all the way back for something in the afternoon just isn't feasible. But he is being a trooper and sleeping when he needs it. They are both good kids.
Tomorrow - Seal Beach and the Tide Pools at Point Loma.
No comments:
Post a Comment