Thursday, September 23, 2010

Two light bulbs

- We started checking out a different encyclopedia from the library every week, based on which letter is the "Letter of the Week" at Laura's school. I know its dorky, but its been fun. Laura talks about atoms (specifically, she loves to say that "ADam is full of aToms" and she knows that electrons run around crazy on the outside of the protons and neutrons) and I've learned that an aardvark is like an anteater. This week is "B" week: Borneo, Boston, blackholes, etc. Jim just eats up the information and I think he enjoys reading it with her much more than storybooks. Oh boy, we're nerdy.

-A friend recommended Raising your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka as a helpful source of parenting information. There are several different traits that are strong in "spirited" children, i.e. intensity, persistence, adaptability, energy levels, etc. I've decided that my kids don't rank too high in most of the groups, except for intensity. But I have gained a lot from the chapter on introverts and extraverts. Jim and I believe we have one of each (can you guess which is which?) and I really think I understand them better after reading this chapter. I hope I can put this knowledge to some good use. I just read it tonight, so I'll have to let you know later if it was all hogwash and didn't change a thing, or if it solved all our problems and we're happy as can be, or if it is somewhere in the middle. (But I should say, for the record, that my energy level and interest in parenting has been much higher this week than last week and that has made all the difference in our days, so we're not really starting off all that bad here. But there's always a little room for improvement!)

No comments: