Wednesday, September 15, 2010

LOUD

My house is LOUD.

My daughter never stops talking or singing. If we're not having a conversation, or she's not singing, then she is pretending and trying to engage me in that pretend. (We've set aside a specific time each day for her to have "pretend time" with my undivided attention. Otherwise, she has to share my brain with Adam and whatever household task I might be trying to accomplish.)

My son is intense, demanding, ear-splitting loud, whatever you want to call it. Whatever he wants, he wants it NOW and will announce it over and over until he gets it or a "no" answer, at which time, the meltdown begins. Don't get me wrong, there are happy happy times here in this house. But his particularly sharp voice can quickly raise the stress level and then send the 3 of us into a downward spiral that never ends good. I should have expected this when I started noticing his painful, sharp squawking sound that would set me off at the drop of a hat when he was a small baby. I can just feel my whole body tensing up at the thought of that squawk.

So, how to bring everything down a notch? How to keep it together, at least most of the time? How to remember that I'm the adult? How to teach them that we don't all have to talk a degree louder than each other to be heard? Today, I kept myself mostly under control and tried whispering everything for a while. It worked nicely, but I really have to be on the ball for that one. Distraction often works. Going outside. And dancing time with music also brings us all back to our senses. Also, just giving in and realizing when they need a "noisy time" and letting us all get it out at once. Musical instruments are helpful for "noisy time". So is stomping. Its helpful to have several weapons in your arsenal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Jenny. I remember all that. You're a good Mommy. Hang in there and be sure to have some "Mommy away time". There were some days when Kenny would come home from school and stay with the boys while I went to the store "all by myself!!!" I would buy a candy bar and eat it "All by myself" without sharing it with anyone!!! Then I would drive around town a bit, taking the scenic route home, listening to nothing, except an occasional scream from me, where no one else could hear. Sometimes a few tears. Amazing what good that little respite did for my sanity. Yea Daddy!
Love you,
Maureen

Karen said...

Sounds like a house with 2 little kids!! Sometimes a nice glas of wine helps to calm the parent!! They will grow out of it and you will look back and remember and laugh!!