Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Road Trip with the kids - Day 1

As I have mentioned, I had some strange urge to take the kids on a long, leisurely road trip on the way back from Oklahoma...by myself. Not sure what prompted this, but it seemed like a really good idea at the time. Looking back, I would say that Adam was almost ready for that sort of thing, but will be more fun when he's a little older. Naps in the car were tough, but everything else went swimmingly.

Our first adventure was a surprise. We planned to caravan with my parents up to Wichita and meet Jim's mom and aunt for a quick outing at their zoo and then lunch. Well, Laura spent the ride to Wichita whining about her eye where she had run into Adam finger earlier that morning. I realized that after 3 hours, she probably wasn't making it up, so we went to an Urgent Care clinic and had it checked out. Sure enough, she had a tiny scratch. Glad we went to the doctor! But that meant no zoo. We still had lunch with everyone and Adam got some quality time with the relatives in the waiting room.

Our first stop after the doctor was Rock City, KS. I saw a sign on the side of the road and was intrigued enough to stop. We did that a lot on this trip, in fact that was the whole point of the trip.


A bunch of mounded rocks in the middle of a field. Its actually the largest group of this kind of rock in the world. Who knew? I could describe how they are made, but I bet you don't care. If you do, go here.

We looked at the rocks from the car.

Because Adam was doing this. FINALLY.

Bye Rock City!

Guess where Rock City was? Minneapolis, Kansas. Crazy.

We stopped by any historical markers that we saw. Here's one for the Oregon Trail.

And the Pony Express.

In between the history lessons, which the kids just found riveting I'm sure, the kids entertained themselves with the best toy ever. A fan. When we visited my grandma, she had a handheld fan with very soft blades. The kids thought it was great, so we sent my dad (thanks Dad!) to Walmart to get them each one (he got me one too!). Thank you so much for the idea, Grandma. These kept the kids happy during many, many boring miles.

At the hotel, we loaded up the cart with stuff and kids.


And went for a swim. Not surprisingly, the pools were the biggest hit of the whole trip. I loved it too. Very refreshing.

And then bedtime! (Adam slept in a crib or with me, but they cuddled together for books.)

No comments: