Saturday, October 4, 2008

6:30pm

On the very first day of our vacation 2 weeks ago, Laura adopted a new attitude that just terrified Jim and I. We thought "OK, I guess the terrible 2s are starting...TODAY". Pretty much all week, she was difficult. She has a good enough grasp of language that she can really put together some impressive sentences to sass you and insult you.

Then we got back from vacation and back into a regular routine, particularly back to starting her bedtime routine at 6:30. I know this sounds early, but it is apparently the key to everything for Laura. All week, she was asleep by 7pm, woke up at 7:30 or 8 and took at least 2 hour naps. And lo and behold, she has been the sweetest kid you have ever met. Even when I was grumpy and trying to bait her into joining me in a fight (like you would with a sibling, how embarrassing), she was as calm and pleasant as can be. I couldn't believe it.

I started thinking about how lax we had been on bedtime over vacation and realized that this must be a huge factor. She was going to bed about an hour late and for some reason, waking up about an hour early. And naps were sporadic. Well, I'm glad we figured it out and I'm glad she is back to being a good sport. It was fun to be with her this week. Maybe you just need to go on vacation sometimes to see how good you have it at home.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You betcha! Maybe that is what I need to start doing!!! I would love to be able to sleep like that!!!

Pop said...

So happy for all of you that things are back to a normal rhythm. An example of how important sleep must be for all of us.

Love the new picture of "Our Family" on the blog.