Wednesday, December 19, 2007

food

I haven't written much about our everyday food since we've been here and there are a few things I want to remember:

Laura and I have learned to love Japanese food. When I went to Japan in college, I left thinking Japanese food was just cold green noodles and raw fish. But here, we go to one of 2 Japanese restaurants more than once a week! Miso soup, beef and chicken dishes, veggie and shrimp tempura, bean sprout salad, and even a few Maki rolls! And Laura loves the shrimp tempura. She has really become a shrimp lover. Between the Peking duck, shrimp, avocados and cashews, she's getting expensive tastes!!

When we don't go to the Japanese restaurants, Laura and I often go to a Mediterranean place. She loves the hummus and I like just about everything. And there's a security guard that stands nearby and makes eyes at Laura. Plus, there's free wi-fi there.

We also eat pizza a lot. Laura loves it and at least its bread and cheese, which is better than some of the other things she'd like to eat (mostly dessert).

We eat at home about 4 days a week. Much less than in the States, but more than I thought we would. I don't have all the kitchen supplies I like, we don't have the ingredients I'm used to in the stores, I don't have all my cookbooks or internet to get recipes, and there are just so many fun restaurants so close! Thai, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. The food has been really great!

I've also gotten used to all the waitresses keeping Laura busy. Its not unusual for one of them to pick her up and take her to see the cooks (always in my view). She loves it and I get a break! She's going to have to get used to not being the center of attention in the whole restaurant and mall.

No comments: