
There's a huge picture of Mao on one of the buildings that is actually an oil painting that gets repainted every year by the same family. It weighs 1 ton. Its kind of hard to tell in this picture how big it is, but I Jim's work computer doesn't have the right software to crop it and zoom in. Believe me, it is big.
Next, we went through the tunnel under the big painting of Mao and into the Forbidden City. This was a city that commoners couldn't go into, only high ranking officials and the emperor. It was huge, with tons of small buildings that all look alike. Laura and I's favorite part were the big cauldrons that were everywhere. They used to hold water to use for putting out fires since they used to use candles everywhere and the buildings were made of wood. 




The toilets on this trip were a big deal. Always an exciting event to find one that actually had a seat, but you learn to use the "holes in the ground" quickly. So glad Laura's still in diapers so we didn't have to worry about getting her to a bathroom all the time! Thought this sign was funny:
After the Forbidden City, we went to lunch, I think. Then to the zoo to see the Giant Panda exhibit. I hate to say it, but it seems like the pandas in San Diego, are happier than the ones in China! In China, they were pacing back and forth in front of their doors to the inside and didn't have much interest in anything in their habitats. In San Diego, they were always up in the trees sleeping or eating and just seemed very comfortable and secure. Oh well, maybe its just the cold weather in China. Although, since that's their natural habitat, shouldn't they be comfortable in the cold? Anyway, Laura enjoyed it.



Jim and I enjoy funny signs:




Dinner was a western buffet. I think that just meant they had a salad with Thousand Island dressing. Nothing else too western about it, but it was good.
Here's another shot of the Mao painting in Tian'anmen Square when we passed it on the way home. Very big.
1 comment:
Jenny,
You are doing a fabulous job on your blog/journal. I know it takes alot of time and we appreciate your efforts. Glad you guys are back and getting some nap time in hopefully.
Post a Comment