Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving food notes

So here's what I need to remember for the next time I host a Thanksgiving dinner for 9. If I put it here, I can't lose it. If you don't care about my notes, ignore this post.

Roast turkey EARLY - like maybe the day before. 18 pounds took about 6 hours this year. And "fresh" just means they thaw it for you, so it still might have some ice inside.

Meringue pies aren't worth it if you have to make it the day before (and remember to bake crust before filling)

Make a double recipe of potatoes (use 10 pounds next time). These can be made a day early and warmed in the oven.

Make a half recipe of sweet potatoes (use 2-3 big potatoes instead of 5).

Two recipes of rolls (24 total rolls) was a good amount. Some leftover, but not too many.

Single recipe of green bean casserole was enough.

Skip the bag of stuffing. The kids like it a little, but not enough and the leftovers aren't great.

Molasses cookies were a hit.







No comments: