Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The first 5K

I did it. I tried the 5K. I can only say I tried because I didn't make my goal of running the whole thing. I do have some excuses prepared: I had a head cold for a week and a half, so I hadn't been training; I had only slept 3 hours the night before because Laura picked that night to only sleep 3 hours (?). But still, they are just excuses. I will try again and do better. I ran almost 2 miles at a much faster pace last night. I am going to sign up for another official one this fall to give me another goal.
It wasn't a total disappointment: I was glad to make it under 40 minutes (39:23); I came in 593 out of almost 800; It was very exciting to be running with so many other people; we were running through the zoo, so it was fun to see the animals watching us as we jogged by.
Can someone please explain how I can go from getting almost no exercise to running every 2-3 days for 6 months and still be officially "obese"? Actually, I gained 5 pounds? That is ridiculous. Just think how much easier each step would be if I lost 30 pounds. But I'm not giving up yet. I definitely feel better, physically and mentally, so it is worth every difficult, jiggly step.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I am very proud of you!!!!!!

A. Grell said...

Awesome Jenny!!!!! We did so good until it stayed, consistently, 110 degrees here!! It has been since the middle of July since we last ran. We have already made plans to start back TONIGHT at 8:30. Let's see if I make and excuse by then!!! I loved running, felt great, but I'm afraid I love NOT running even more. It is so much easier to sit at home every evening. Now you are going to encourage me. We have a 5K, in Blackwell, in 7 1/2 weeks. Thats our goal!! Hope we make it. Keep up the good work. Is Kim still running?

michelle said...

Nice work Jenny!
You had a goal and you did you best, and now the journey continues!

Kim said...

@ Annie... no running for me. My ankles and feet just couldn't handle it. Trying to do more walking and ab work. I wanted to run so bad (sounds strange I know) but that program is awesome! Keep up your running, both of you! :)