Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Prayer

Here's a different kind of post.
I have some questions and you guys are a great resource for a variety of points of view.

If you feel comfortable sharing, can you please tell me your thoughts on praying?

Specifically:  Do you pray? What are your reasons for praying? Do you think it changes how events unfold, i.e. do you believe that if someone is sick, lots of people praying for her will speed her recovery? When you pray, is it primarily to give thanks, ask for help to change your own behavior and thoughts, or ask for help to change something out in the world? Or something else that I haven't thought of?

Please share as much or little as you want. If you would rather comment anonymously, that's fine. Or if you prefer to email directly to me, please use jennymcasper@yahoo.com

And to be fair, here are my thoughts on the matter...
I struggle with prayer. I feel like there are great benefits; a closeness with and mindfulness of God, a great sense of community when you pray for each other, it reminds us that we aren't the only ones who might be having problems or are hurting, it keeps us aware of our own behaviors and thoughts. But my struggle comes in asking God for anything. I just cannot believe that praying can actually change someone's health, natural disasters, someone's safety. If a person is sick and gets better, can we assume that she wouldn't have gotten better if no one had prayed? Or am I missing something?

Laura is getting to an age where she is asking questions, understand much, and remembering everything. Kids have a way of pointing out all those things that you have just kind of glossed over in your life. I know this is something I have to figure out for myself and that there are many resources at my church that I can look to, and I will. But the opinions of people I know, love, and trust have always meant the most to me, so I'm coming to you in a way that gives everyone a chance to think about what they want to say and only opt in if you are feeling inclined.

Thank you

2 comments:

Kim said...

Let's have some chat time about this, this weekend... Guess that is what big sisters are for, huh?! Love you Jenny and am glad that you are asking and wanting to talk about such a complicated, yet simple topic. Love you and can't wait to get there!

Karen said...

Do we pray....
We pray everyone night as a family and each kid says their own prayer plus we say two prayers, one is "Father in heaven, hear my prayer keep me in thy loving care..." then we say another ,our Father, hail Mary, Glory Be... Our personal prayers are for people we know , giving thanks and help, we try to incorporate all types of prayer. I think it has been great and the kids, minus Emily seem to have really taken to it and enjoy it. It is less formal when I am home alone, but Paul likes to have everyone kneel and be reverent. I hope this answers your question...
Karen