Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New stuff

Both kids are learning new things left and right.

Laura took her first alone shower tonight. She insisted on closing the curtain. We don't use soap and shampoo every night, so she just hung out under the water, but it was very exciting. She also does the entire toothbrushing thing herself: getting the toothpaste, twisting it open, putting it on her brush, brushing, twisting cap back on, putting it away. And she's tried a few naps with no diaper. A little success, but a few accidents too and she has scared herself back into diapers for nap. She has gone into a public bathroom stall and locked it before I knew what was happening and completed the entire bathroom task alone. It would have been interesting if she had needed help unlocking the door, but she didn't, thankfully. She has been trying to figure out how jokes work. She loves the knock knock joke where you end up saying "boo who", but I don't think she really grasps it. She decided her first joke was: "What do eagles dry off with? An eagle towel!" And she is back to her sunny disposition, which is a relief because the last few weeks have been really rough. She wasn't feeling well and we were butting heads pretty badly. I know there will still be plenty of times of sass to come, but it feels good to have had a few good days with my sweet girl again.

Adam is changing quickly too, of course. He is still *almost* rolling over, but not quite yet. I did find him on his back once in bed when I had laid him down on his stomach, but it hasn't happened again. The last few days, he has really started working on reaching for things. If you put something in front of him, he slowly and deliberately brings both hands forward to grab it. Pretty cool to be able to know what he's thinking and watch him learn. There are a few drawbacks: 1.) He slept terribly last night. I've been told that kids sleep bad when they are really starting to figure out something new and this seems to be the case. It was the first time that I brought him back into our bed since moving him into his own room weeks ago. But at 5am, I just wasn't very strong. 2.)He gets really frustrated if everything doesn't go exactly right. i.e. he misses what he's reaching for, he drops it, I take it away, it doesn't make it into his mouth. But its cool to know how to make him happy by just helping him hold it again. It feels like a little bit of communication between us. He's also laughing up a storm. It cracks me up. All of a sudden, he'll just giggle, and then its super easy to keep him going by kissing, tickling or talking to him. Love it. 

No comments: