Picture us driving from MN to IA, a 3 hour ride, and the older kid is happily playing in the backseat but the one month old baby begins to wail because he is just not a car seat lover. I reach back to pat his tummy and sing soothing songs. Nothing works. We just stopped for a feeding and diaper change 20 minutes ago. Then I stick my pinky near his mouth and he grabs on with fury. Would you sit for hours with you body twisted to the back, with one hand holding a book reading to one kid and the other hand on your baby with a finger in his mouth? yes, you would if it meant happy, quiet kids. So now I have found something that sometimes keeps Adam happy in the car. The dilemma is this: aren't I just acting as a human pacifier? Why not get him a real one? I have always been so glad that we didn't use or need a pacifier for Laura. They just seem like so much hassle and can cause such problems. Keeping them clean, always having one handy, constantly shoving it in the kids mouth, possible speech problems, sucking on the evil PLASTIC all day, finding a way to get rid of it when they are 5. None of that sounded like something I was willing to do. But I'm thinking its not too sanitary for me to stick my finger in my mouth, wipe it off on my jeans and stick in my kid's mouth while driving down the road? And that is certainly a pain, too. Maybe we'll just never leave the house again?
Since I'm admitting bad parenting habits, lets keep rolling. Is it terrible to realize that your kid's diaper has leaked in the middle of the night (oh, and he's sleeping on you, so you have pee all over you too) and decide to just wait until the next feeding to change him since he's so quiet and asleep?
Oh ,and I let Laura mix playdough colors today. It drove me insane, but she loved it.
Here's a nice little tape recording for you (don't worry, there's not supposed to be any video):
1 comment:
Do what you have to do to survive! Adam is a noisy sleeper isn't he. Thanks for taking the time to blog. We enjoyed it.
Post a Comment