Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Conversations
You know, I can definitely see what we as a society have sacrificed to have our independence from each other. In neighborhoods like ours, where you sort of know your neighbors. You wave as you go in and out of your garage but don't really spending much time with each other. Having my mom here the last few days has made such a change in my perspective. Its crazy to have another adult around all day! True, the help with the housework and Laura has been great, but I don't think that's everything. The adult conversation, and with another woman (no offense, Jim or Laura), really makes a difference in your day. I'm sure Jim appreciates that I don't just run from the mouth when he comes home now. This is what it must be like in cultures that live in close quarters with their extended families. Sure we'll probably get sick of each other after a while, but it is really nice to have someone to communicate with throughout the day. I know I chose to not work, so I don't mean that I'm complaining about my choice. Its just that stay at home moms really do have a tough time when their only interaction during the day is with a child. I can see why my other SAHM friend and I generally talk several times on the phone each day (also because we're good friends and enjoy each other's company). I hope I don't neglect her while my mom is visiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jenny,
I remember those days of 'child talk' being the only conversation. That's when/why I started going to Bible study at church to fellowship with other Moms of all ages. It helped so much to hear the perspective of those who had already passed this way. And of course the encouragement that I received from the Word. Even though home is where I chose to be, it had its difficult moments. 25 years since I've gone back to work, and I've never regretted the choice to stay home with our children when they were small. More power to you, Jenny.
Love you,
Maureen
Amen, sister! It can certainly be difficult not to have adult interaction in our days as SAHMs, and we get so used to it that we don't always realize what we're missing. Other days, we know exactly what we're missing. :) I know I had a very hard time when we first moved here. It was July, and since so few parents were at home around us, it was difficult to meet people until school started (and even then, it wasn't easy). I remember one day in particular when the only adults who talked to me were a telemarketer and the guy who came to clean the carpets, and all he would say was, "Your carpets are going to look so good!" I could've chewed nails by dinnertime!
On the other hand, we know we're doing something important. When our kids grow up, it will be great to see what God did with our sacrifices now!
Post a Comment