We took a train from the airport into Rome, then a bus to our hotel. I'm not gonna lie, I was feeling pretty dang awful during those rides - jet lag, carsick, tired of everyone. But we were so successful dealing with buying tickets, finding the right bus and train, and attempting Italian, that I deem it an overall happy memory.
Our hotel is ridiculously lovely - more pics to follow. Front desk is super helpful and kind, we already have a favorite bodega across the tiny cobblestone street who picked out a free tomato for us to eat with our mozzerella di bufala. Laura loves to look out our window and say ciao to passersby. Breakfast on the terrace is beautiful and delicious and we can eat breakfast 'with the Pope' cuz we can see St Peters dome.
We were out strolling (read: trying to stay awake) and happened upon Vatican City (as one does). :) So we wandered thru St Peters square, stood on the spots that make the 4 layers of columns look like one, took a spin thru the post office giggled at the uniforms if the Swiss Guard, and marveled at the enormity of the whole thing. We walked along the Tiber River, had some gelato, and started to figure out the neighborhood. Love the cobblestone streets, but make sure you flatten yourself against a wall if a car comes, cuz they're basically alleyways with very little extra space. Tiny cars everywhere!
Lest we be all sunshiny and rosy, I feel I need to report that the kids spent most of this stroll wondering what the big deal is, why is it so crowded, why are we walking with no destination, this is nothing like I imagined, can we go back to the hotel, I don't like gelato, it's too sunny, why do you walk so slowly...
But we did hug a column at St Peters on Adam's recommendation (it takes Jim + Laura + Adam + about a foot of me to make it around), spotted some Papal crests, including Laura's fav (we each picked one to look for), and started a fountain counting contest for the week.
Dinner was a hamburger for Adam and paninis for the rest of us. Actually, I just realized Laura never ate hers and it's still sitting on the table. Oops. But she had a juicy peach from the market, so she'll survive.
Looking forward to feeling better tomorrow, Mass in Italian, touring Castel Sant'Angelo, and doing Rick Steve's recommended Heart of Rome walk (he's our guru).
No comments:
Post a Comment