Monday, March 20, 2017

Nerf Dart Loft Bed

Peekaboo!





Adam finally realized how dinky his room is compared to Laura's, and he asked if we could build a loft bed to give him more real estate. It sounded like a reasonable request and a fun project, so we spent about a week planning and building. He helped with some of every step, and I did a lot during the school days. I used some plans from the internet that looked great at the end, but had terrible step by step instructions. Jim got me through all the pickles I encountered throughout the process. 

No big surprise that he chose orange and blue paint - he's consistent! 


This thing is stout! "Big and Strong - Never Wrong" is the theme here. His room is too small to get a complete picture of the bed. I guess I could try 'panorama'?

There's a slight concern about how high it is. There's no mattress in the box in these pictures, which is why he can sit up straight. Now that there's a mattress, he bonks his head a lot. I guess I didn't think that through when I was planning - oops. I talked him into trying it for a few days. If he doesn't get the hang of it, it should be fairly easy to lower by cutting the legs off and lowering the wall support.

And the fan looks like it overlaps the bed much more than it really does. We moved the ladder over so he doesn't have to climb right next to the fan and now it doesn't seem to be a problem.

He had a successful night sleeping last night and loves his space underneath for his bean bag and various little boy paraphernalia.


Overall, a huge success!

No comments: