The other day, I had an idea for a project for a history major. I would like to see a map of the world and, starting as far back as possible, show the wars throughout the world as time moves forward. Or maybe find a way to show how power, borders, kingdoms shifted over history. I am convinced that violence and power shifts are just a part of life that have always existed and aren't necessarily any worse today. They are just better reported to people in far away places and the weapons can do more damage. But at the same time, perhaps the better reporting, communications, and changing cultural views on basic human rights have offset some of those negatives? I did some Googling and found these two, neither of which is exactly what I was looking for, but both of which are interesting.
This one seems very limited to the history of Europe and the Middle East. I'm sure there was lots going on in Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Americas that aren't included (all the A's). But its still interesting.
I think this is very interesting. I wish the time scale at the bottom were consistent so we could get a better impression of how long each empire lasted in comparison with the others. I had no idea some of those empires were so massive.
History is fascinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment