A good friend passed on a ton of cucumbers last week. We aren't big cucumber eaters and I've never made pickles before. But there's a first time for everything! On a whim, I looked for my Grandma's cinnamon pickle recipe and there it was - in my recipe box that my Mom, Grandma and Mother-in-law made for me at my wedding shower. After consulting with Grandma to verify a few directions and literally searching all the southern suburbs for pickling lime and red hots, we have success! (The red hots were at Walgreens, the pickling lime at a Menards in Savage.) They taste just like I remember. I canned them this morning, after a 3 day process of soaking and boiling. It was so fun. These are pretty much the only pickles I would eat growing up and a great treat when I got to go to Grandma's.
And with the other half of the cucumbers, I made refrigerator pickles. This jar was full a few days ago. We'll be working on these for a while!
No comments:
Post a Comment