Saturday, June 9, 2012

Native Prairie or Weed Patch??

A couple years ago I got sick of a patch of weedy grass that no one ever played in or even really looked at because it was sheltered from the road and neighbors by several spruces trees. I thought: Native Prairie!! So we covered it in black plastic for a year to kill everything and spread a seed mix appropriate for our area. Last year, we followed the directions to keep it kind of short to give the slower growing plants a chance. This year, we've let it go. I get excited every time something blooms and I have to take a picture. I hope we aren't harboring any weeds that are too noxious. So far, only a few curious questions from neighbors. No one seems too put out by they 3 foot tall unidentified plants.




We cut down a sick tree, and it became the kids' "grove". 



No comments: