Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wildlife Updates

Some sad news that was almost happy. When a repairman came to fix our front window, he was surprised by a duck flying out from under a bush by our front door. Apparently she had started a nest and we found 1 egg.

Unfortunately, she hasn't been back. Bummer. I very, very briefly considered incubating the egg ourselves, but I thought long term about the result of that science experiment - our very own mallard duckling. What do we do with that? Nope, not gonna happen. So the sad little egg is sitting there waiting for its momma and I am desperately hoping she will come back to try again. It would be so fun to have little ducklings living in our front bush. Sigh...

The birds in our wreath on the front porch grew up and moved out before I got a picture. From what I could tell from checking on them regularly, sans camera, one fell out of the nest early on and the other 4 survived jam packed into the tiny little nest. Hope they return next year!

1 comment:

michelle said...

Oh, I want a baby mallard! I'd call it quackers and we'd be buddies.