Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pain in the back

Well, I woke up Tuesday unable to stand up straight due to lower back pain and shooting pains down my left leg. Not fun, particularly when caring for 2 kids, one of which still needs to be carried some of the time. A trip to the chiropractor that day told me things I already knew about how misaligned my hips and spine are. He adjusted me in several places and literally jumped up and down and said it was the biggest adjustment he'd had in a week. whoop di doo for you doctor-man. Wednesday, I didn't feel any better, so I went to an MD who basically said "yep, these things happen. Wait it out." But she did give me very helpful stretches, and told me to get some ab muscles ASAP. Today was way better, particularly due to the stretches. Anytime I sit still for too long, I have to do them all over again so I will be able to straighten up. But I'm so glad to have something that works. No tears at all today! Jim's been great with watching the kids when I went to the appointments and doing all the laundry and dishes. But I'm back on duty, I guess. I considered milking it a little more, but that didn't seem right.

Both doctor's visits did leave me a little disappointed. Why does the chiropractor think its all about bones and nerves and plays down my concerns about being overweight, lacking sleep, and having muscle pain. And why does the doctor poo-poo my chiropractor questions and say I can go see one "if I am strong believer in them". Can't it be a combination of misalignment, pinched nerves, tension, extra weight, and weak muscles? Can't we all just get along?

And don't old people throw their back out? I'm not old, am I?

1 comment:

Kim said...

NOOOOOOO you are not old, because if you are what does that make me? ;) I have been praying that your back will heal up pretty quick. Glad you do have exercises that help out! I love you and will be there to rescue you very soon! :) Plan date night, alone shopping spree (you provide the $, I provide the sitter), maybe even a chocolate peppermint shake from chic-fil-a! Love you!