
I was peeking at the two baby birds for the first time in a while. They were HUGE and barely fit in the nest together. I was perching (ha ha) on the rocking chair and they were peering back at me when they suddenly flew into my face and out from under the porch to a nearby tree. Surprised the heck out of me. I would have loved to have a picture of them cuddled in the nest, but they haven't come back yet. I was watching them in the tree across the street and heard the mom and dad in our tree yelling at me. Here's a picture of them. The dad has a red head with brown body and the mom is all brown. They are pretty small, but very noisy when they are protecting their babies. I think they are purple finches. Anyone know?
1 comment:
I'd say house finch.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch/id
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Finch
but I can't tell for sure from your pic.
purple finches are more reddish all over and a bit smaller in neckish length...go here
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/id
then scroll down and go to "similar species" and scroll until you get to the housefinch...
what do you think?
Post a Comment